Here at Geowells International Limited, we believe that the well-being of our employees, customers, property, and the general environment should be our topmost priority. Due to the nature of our business, injuries, equipment damage, and environmental degradation are a real concern to the company. However, it is possible to run all operations without the occurrence of injury, damage to equipment or to the environment if good company policy is implemented.
– We recognize that employees are protected by law as per various Employment Acts within the countries we operate and we as a company strive to adhere to said laws.
– We comply with all applicable laws that regulate industry standards of practice.
– Our HSE management practices are refined and improved frequently so as to keep up with changing times.
– Appraisals on company performance in terms of HSE management are done to ensure both compliance and to enhance the processes.
– Each company employee and our customers are responsible and accountable for HSE.
– HSE success is incorporated into the company’s yearly goals and objectives.
Here at Geowells International Ltd, we believe that having a robust and progressive HSE policy is essential to ensuring both organizational and customer satisfaction.
Organizational growth and sustainability are guided by a company’s ability to marry its day-to-day operations with its HSE management system. Geowells’ HSE system is an essential part of how we do our business and how management runs the company. It is this kind of approach that enables us to build a robust and progressive HSE management system in line with ISO 14001 standards.
– Our Goals
– Departmental Appraisal
– Management Review &
– Our Commitment
The Driving to Zero initiative is a worldwide campaign that is built towards working to reinforce our health and safety culture. This is one of the initiatives that we take part in as a company to assist us in reaching our HSE objectives year in, and year out.
In the Driving to Zero initiative, we are driving towards destination “Zero”- a sanctuary of ZERO safety incidents, ZERO injuries and ZERO days off work due to work-related injuries- A PERFECT HSE RECORD. The main ideology behind the Driving to Zero campaign is that every incident is preventable.
We keep a log of all work-related injuries and safety concerns and work towards seeing a receding graph in regard to safety numbers. We have one of the best safety records in the industry but regardless, we still strive to make it a perfect record; Driving to Zero.
Safety is a daily concern within Geowells International considering the nature of our trade. Training of our employees is therefore essential practice in order to program vigilance and observation skills within them both on and off the job.
Training of employees begins on the first day of employment and is reinforced daily through Job safety analysis programs, personal injury prevention training, safety coaching, daily pre-job safety meetings and daily work observation practices.
Reduction of accidents during vehicle and machinery operation is a key area of focus for us. Intensive training courses on vehicle and machinery operation are offered to every employee at the start of employment and refresher courses are offered within the duration of employment.
Frontline Workers- the crews who work on rigs and those who regularly interact with customers- form the largest group of workers and are the most prone to work-related injury. Management, therefore, organizes safety training exercises and drills for this particular set of workers at least once a year.
This raises awareness for HSE and also sharpens employee skills in dealing with different safety risk scenarios. Different scenarios are handled during each drill. Once employees complete these training exercises, they are duly certified.
GRMS provides a complete suite of HSE reporting tools to ensure that every rig, field worker, office employee and office in our workplaces is engaged and actively supports a high-performance safety culture.
From rig to the boardroom, GRMS accelerates HSE communications, employee participation and global information sharing in, but not limited to:
– Job Safety Analysis (JSA’s)
– Incident & Investigation
– Flash Safety Alerts
– Correction & Preventive Action (CAPA)
– Goals & Objectives
– Inspections & Management of Change
– Enhancing Ensign’s hazard awareness and risk control everywhere we operate.
Other parts of our GRMS include post-crisis practices to safeguard both the company and the general community from far-reaching environmental impacts. These include:
– Insurance of environmental risks
– Oil Spill response plan
– Gas leak response plan
– Fire safety plan
– Water contamination response plan
As beneficiaries of natural resources from the environment, environmental protection is a major part of our business. It is a responsibility for current and future generations. Therefore, there
are some fundamental initiatives that we adhere to:
– Compliance with environmental protection laws within the countries that we operate.
– We work to reduce, reuse, recycle and reclaim materials and land used in our operations.
– Innovation to develop new technologies and environmentally friendly materials and procedures.
– Immediate containment of incidences that may harm the environment.
– We have a dedicated team that responds to all environmental emergencies and draws up a comprehensive response plan to address the said issues.
– Frequent consultations with environmental protection agencies to learn new environmental protection practices and trends.
Geowells International Ltd strives to use fewer materials in order to reduce their impact on the natural environment.
Our potential impacts occur during:
– Operational Impacts: These are the impacts that may occur during our drilling operations. They include disturbance by heavy machineries such as our rigs, spillage of mined products such as oil, and disturbance of the water table during borehole drilling and general excavation.
– During Transportation: These impacts mainly stem from pollution from vehicles and machinery. Most heavy vehicles used in the drilling industry use fossil fuels, therefore, contribute to air pollution.
Reducing Engine Emissions
Old and less fuel-efficient engines are being replaced with new fuel-efficient versions to reduce fuel consumption. New technologies which are more fuel efficient are also being invested in. Wherever possible, we select engines that consume less fuel for a given power output level. We are aiming to reduce our carbon footprint every year in line with the Paris Accord.
Increasing Drilling Efficiency
Our new drilling rigs have complex and flexible designs which result in a smaller drilling rig that accomplishes more work. These more compact drilling rigs move and rig up in a fraction of the time of older designs. Our newer rigs also incorporate drilling systems that reduce the overall time and energy needed to drill and complete a well. Smaller rigs also lead to less environmental disturbance.
Water and Waste Management
We try to reduce, reuse and recycle as much drilling waste as possible. Soil and earth from excavated sites are used for reclamation purposes.
waste which cannot be reused or recycled is collected and dumped in designated landfills gazetted by the respective environmental protection agencies.
Wastewater is treated and then directed to the proper sewerage system to be handled by the responsible governmental body.
Work in Environmentally Sensitive Areas
Work in environmentally sensitive is done after consultative meetings with the community and environmental protection agencies which represent the government’s interests. A substantive work plan is drawn up and guides on how to conduct operations within the said environment. Our employees are also well-trained on how to conduct themselves and their equipment in such environments
Reducing Fuel Consumption
Other than using more fuel-efficient machinery and vehicles, we also invest in technology that uses alternative sources of energy. We have invested a lot in a rig fleet that includes a number of electric drills for example. A lot is being invested in alternative technology to ensure that fuel consumption is as minimal as possible.
Reducing Surface Impact
We are also focused on reducing our impact on the physical environments in which we operate. The layout and compact size of our new drilling rigs mean our customers’ well sites require a smaller footprint, resulting in less impact on the terrain and vegetation.
Geowells International Ltd also trains our people to conduct directional drilling and multi-bore wells, which significantly decrease surface impacts by reducing the number of well sites. Most of our drilling operations incorporate closed drilling fluid systems that reduce and, in some cases, eliminate site preparation and cleanup.